Vice President, Government Relations (State)
North Carolina Healthcare Association (NCHA)
Vice President, Government Relations (State)
About NCHA The North Carolina Healthcare Association (NCHA) is the premier healthcare membership organization in North Carolina that works on behalf of all the state’s hospitals and health systems. The NCHA offers full-service advocacy, lobbying, policy, strategic communications, grassroots and grasstops advocacy, shared services, and foundation activities and support to our membership. The Association crafts and implements strategies, tactics, and actions that advance the association’s mission (“To improve the health of the communities where we live and work by advocating for sound public policy and collaborative partnerships”) and vision (“A North Carolina where high-quality healthcare is equitable and accessible for all”).
Position Description: We are currently seeking a high-energy, smart, insightful, focused, and proactive individual for this high-impact position. The candidate, who will report to the President and CEO, will lead the advocacy efforts before the North Carolina legislature; monitor legislative and regulatory developments and work with team members, member Government Relations Officers, and Association members to identify, respond to, and address issues of importance or concern to the membership and the field (the Association). Key leader in sourcing and developing key policy and legislation that impacts hospitals, health systems, and other important constituents and partners.
Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of professional experience in advocacy, lobbying, policy development, or government relations, is required (master’s degree or law degree preferred). Experience working on political campaigns or as a legislative staffer is a plus. The ideal candidate must be team-oriented, have a keen attention to detail, possess exceptional oral and written communications skills, possess the power of persuasion, and has the ability to inform, educate, and influence. A proven track record of leading and managing advocacy campaigns, constituents, and staff, and ability to work well under pressure.
- Proactively develop and execute fully integrated state level advocacy campaigns that support NCHA members, partners, and constituents.
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected and appointed officials and other external constituencies, organizations, and stakeholders in order to achieve company goals and positions
- Build and/or manage coalitions, maintain relationships with stakeholders, and mobilize like-minded outside groups to advance member priorities.
- Work with and guide stakeholders to develop NCHA’s legislative agenda, develop corporate positions and strategies, devise a lobbying and communication strategy, develop talking points and prepare position papers, testimony, and briefings, and make internal and external written and oral presentations on behalf of the NCHA, membership and the field.
- Accelerate the effectiveness and reputation of the NCHA and the field by identifying and seizing opportunities to add value through strategic innovation and advocacy integration.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with member GROs and associated leadership teams
- Develop and maintain a general knowledge of legislation, government policy, and current events relevant to NCHA member’s work.
- Identify creative ways to engage on core issues and create new opportunities for members to advocate for key priorities through presence, events, meetings, and partnerships.
- Deliver quantifiable and visible results on behalf of NCHA members
- Oversee outside state lobbyists activities and work to ensure it synchronizes and supports membership objectives.
- Mentoring and developing team members and staying abreast of new industry developments.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Procedure: Newly hired NCHA staff will be expected to achieve policy compliance within the first six weeks of NCHA employment. NCHA staff may receive the vaccine from any vaccine provider. NCHA staff must provide documentation of vaccination to the Director of Human Resources. Acceptable proof of vaccination is a document (CDC COVID Vaccination Record Card) by the professional who administered the vaccine which is a World Health Organization (WHO) approved COVID-19 vaccination dosage series or have received the single dose J&J vaccine. Vaccination exemptions may be granted for documented medical contraindications/circumstances and religious beliefs
To learn more about the Vice President, Government Relations (State) position, please visit https://www.ncha.org/careers/. To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. North Carolina Healthcare Association is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or other protected status.